Sunday 5 February 2017

Finally A Sunday Visit

With man colds and bad weather I have not really been able to make any definitive headway on either of the allotments for the last couple of weeks, now Bessie (Vauxhall Zafira) is insured and on the road, I had four large black sacks of shredded paper and a kitchen compost caddy full to the brim to drop off the Spencer Road allotment.

The overhanging material from peoples plots and the stuff stored behind the sheds is going to make it impossible to back down to my plot without damaging Bessie's paintwork, so until the offending plot holders have done something about it, looks like the car will remain on the road and I will have to carry things to and from the plot. It's a shame as its so easy to take the car in for dropping off and picking up and it was one of the things that attracted me to the site in the first place.

That said I trudged carrying said four sacks a kitchen caddy and a Jute bag with flask and other stuff that needed to go to the plot and set about filling the wheelie bin with the sacks of paper. Some food buckets with lids full of rock salt were used with the aid of gravity to compress the paper in the bin.  

The plan was to go to Mill Green to continue with the weeding and clearing of the greenhouse.


.
The reality was that I made some more soft bricks with the dried sand and milk bottles and I was about to put some of the ballast in the trays to dry and thought, I will work on finishing the small strip of 300m wide paving slabs whilst I wait for gravity to do her stuff



After completing the 300 x 300mm slab strip, I lifted the 600 x 600mm slabs and stacked them against the shed and then proceeded to round up all the lumps of concrete, broken paving slabs and stones scattered around the plot in various containers that have been used for weighing down tarps and plastic sheets and started placing them on the membrane where the joints in the slabs will be.

So the result is that the first two rows off the 300 x 300mm pavers are now laid to a rough level. Three are completely supported and one from the first row and the whole of the second row are only supported around the edges, but I now have a level to work too when filling the void under the slabs with more stones and debris as it comes out off the ground.

So the possibility of getting the greenhouse base in and the greenhouse erected by the end of March - Mid April is looking good, if we get some dry weather. I will try and dig the margin between my and Adams plot as soon as the weather turns for the better as I know there are lots of bits of paving slabs and debris in that area.

And the bed head up against the shed, well that's another project,  a small bench is going to be made from the old bed frame when I get time, not that I actually sit a lot when I visit the plot you understand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment