Wednesday 27 July 2016

Cucumbers Butternut Squash & Bed 4

Having two plots on different allotments means that I alternate Sundays and thus sometimes especially when I'm busy and can't get down for a couple of extended lunch breaks during the week that it can be 10 - 14 days between visits to the new plot, as it has less that needs watering.


To my surprise the cucumbers had gone absolutely mad but had failed to climb the frame and were making their way towards the butternut squash on the path, so I had to untangle them and assist them in climbing the frame.

On closer inspection I have a cucumber that is growing through the mesh. Doh! if I had seen that I could have prevented it, on the plus side there are a few reasonable cucumbers on their way which should be ready to harvest shortly.

I love the large and small one side by side the photo.

The Crimson Crush from self saved seeds are growing at a slow rate and they are after all only an experiment to see what I get. The Purpulette Spring Onions are coming on nicely and the Beetroots need to be harvested as they have bulked up nicely in the last few weeks.


Within those 10 days since my last visit the Butternut squash have decided to take over not only Bed 1 but had spilled out into the path and was making its way towards the cucumbers but working on covering the paved area behind where the greenhouse will finally go.


I'm not worried about the paved area behind the bed, but I have encouraged the squash to grow back on the bed and away from the cucumbers. The two Crimson Crush Toms are getting dwarfed and I suspect will either curl up their toes or fight and rise above the squash.

The Lady Christie potatoes in Bed 2 are on their way down, but as I've just harvested a load of Charisma from Plot 1A they can stay in the ground a little longer. 

Bed 4 was de stoned and the area where the ants nest was dug and weeded, then the Wolf Miller was applied and more stones brought to the surface as a result. I can not believe that there are so many large stones when you consider how long these allotments have been here.

There is a Committee meeting tomorrow and I have been nominated to join. So the plan is to get some of the spring onions out of the Spacesaver at home and finally in the ground. and if there is enough time before the meeting the harvest the beetroots. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment