Monday 4 July 2016

Comfrey Bed 2


I loaded up the car with most of the stuff that needed to go down the allotment plot 23B the night before with the exception of the two bags of grass clippings. Up dressed, breakfasted and on the plot at 7:55. I love these mornings when I'm first and the only one around. Just me and nature until the other plot holders start to slowly drift in.

I unloaded the timber and stacked it on the plot in an area that does not look to flood or puddle. Next I treated the weeds around the beds in the path with weed killer as it looked like the treatment the other day was not effective because of the rain later in the day.

The strip door curtain was slowly unwound and the old one that was in the process of loosing strips each time I visited was taken down. It was old but still in its packaging and was something I had saved from clearing my mothers house when she passed away some years ago.Next was decanting the coffee from the sack in the blowaway into small gravel trays, followed by trimming the vegetation that was encroaching onto my plot and the rear access path. I strimmed the grass on the path and the battery ran out just as I was finished because I had not fully charged it.

The Dalek received the two sacks of grass a sprinkle of coffee ground the vegetation I had trimmed and the lower leafs from the comfrey in bed one which you can see in the picture at the top of the page. Bearing in mind I took root cuttings from the top of the plants on plot 1A these comfrey plants are doing exceedingly well and I don't want to trim them until the end of the season as it's their first year of growth.

The root cuttings that I placed in loo rolls were showing leafs and I wanted to crack on and get Comfrey Bed 2 established. I turned over and weeded the area again and dug out the couch grass that had regrown/ That particular area has now been cleared three times and I want to make sure I have removed as much couch grass as possible as three compost bins will be taking up residence in this area and I don't want them riddles with couch grass and bind weed.

I finished with giving Comfrey Bed 2 a dressing of sawdust and well rotted manure as a mulch to hold off the weeds until the comfrey has chance to establish and cover the area like it has in Comfrey Bed 2

Next visit I will plant the Narcissus Tete-a-Tete bulbs that I bought from the Benhill-Crescent Horticultural Society Trading Hut like I did for Comfrey Bed 1  back in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment