Sunday 15 May 2016

Possible Frost Forecast


Metcheck has been forecasting 0 or possible sub zero temperatures over night Saturday night / Sunday morning in my area, so I used a Terracotta Pot Candle Heater I made for the first time last night.

It's made of 3 Terracotta pots of different sizes, Tesco has them in the season isle at the moment but I got mine at a garden centre last year. I found a bolt and the square washer on the top was from my box of stuff that may be useful in the future in the shed.

Washers were used to keep the bolt in the middle on the outer larger pot as the drainage hole is bigger than the head of the bolt, and some larger washers to space the pots out and a nut and away you go.

The blocks to hold it up are the bottom of pop bottles cut off and filled with post concrete left over from another job, but you can use bricks or anything that will take the heat to hold it up so the candle can go under.

I stood it on an old metal baking tray to capture the wax from the candle, which was donated by Kelly the Candle Queen.

This morning at 5:30 it's 3 degrees outside and 6.1 degrees inside the greenhouse but lowest temperatures overnight were 0.3 outside and 0.8 inside.

2 comments:

  1. Love that idea, so I'm going to pinch it!! So much nicer than smelly paraffin heaters. I also love what you've done with the pop bottle bottoms. I have a stack of them left over from my attempts to make a pop bottle greenhouse, so have found a use for some of them now. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like to Pop Bottle Propagators don't forget the slug traps you can make from them as well see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhuuHj84xNg

      Delete