Sunday 17 April 2016

Potato Planting Sunday

Not the fastest of starts this Sunday, over night the temperature had dropped and there was a frost and I wanted the soil to warm up a little before I started planting potatoes. First job was to find the hand auger which involved sorting out the shed a little until I spied where the three parts were, Note to self put them somewhere you can remember easily for the spuds that are going to make their way to plot 23B.

I loaded the car up with the Windowed Auger, a 1m rod and the handle & five mushroom trays of chitted potatoes on egg boxes and made my way to Plot 1A, and got there just before 9am. My Brother-in-law Keith and his wife Pauline were on their plot and there were a few other plot holders already there. Normally I get the plot to myself until Andy the ex fireman turns up but as the weather is getting better and the time of year, there are more faces on the allotment. 



Bed 3 was first with 25 Estima potatoes sown and two deep watering pop bottles inserted in the third hole in the middle run from both ends. The slug traps put down last week have been doing their job and a number of slugs could be seen in the traps


Then on to bed 4 and I planted 18 Sarpo Mira's and I managed to plant 10 buckets of two Albert Barrlett Vivaldi per bucket, taking me up to 12:45 and time to tidy up and go home for Sunday Dinner.


I returned after Sunday Dinner and managed to plant up bed 2 with 18 King Edwards and finally Bed 1 with 9 Sarpo Axona and 9 Sarpo Blue Danube.


The water is back on now, but I didn't manage to get the watering system re installed, as by the time I was done it was 5pm and quite frankly I had had enough for the day, plus if there is going to be another frost, I didn't see the point in watering that late. The plan is to reconnect it system on an extended lunch break visit tomorrow and water in all the spuds. 

Plot layout is from 2014 in the Watering Diagram above.

No comments:

Post a Comment