Monday 29 February 2016

Grand Erections - Sheds that is!

Keith (my brother in law) and I both had today off to receive the delivery of the sheds and we were hoping for a dry day and that they would come early enough that we could erect them both.

It was one of the best days recently, sunny and not too cold. The lorry driver from Tiger sheds phoned to say he would be delivering in half an hour, which turned out to be more like and hour and a quarter as he got stuck in traffic that his sat nav had not anticipated .

Re the quality of the shed, the lock in Keiths only went over the timber upright by about 1mm, where as mine the lock and the timber was so hard up against the frame on the side and the top that we had to move the lock over and cut a small amount off the top and mid bars. We also had to undo the hinges and lower them because the door was too tight at the top. 

They really need to look at the design of the door when you want a shed lock as you can only get 3 screws in it because there is no enough timber. I wish I had bought my own lock added another horizontal timber at mid height and fixed it myself as I did with the Billy Ho _ that I bought for Plot 1A three years ago.

Being shiplap it is better constructed and likely to be more vandal resistant than the feather edge type but is was more than double the price. Having now an Apex and a Pent, it's a no brainer, the pent wins hands down for headroom and more storage space.  

The sheds on this allotment has been hit 3 -4 times in the last 6 month, so at the moment I'm not anticipating that I'm going to lock it. Those that do come to find the door ripped off or panels removed from the side if they are constructed in a Heath Robinson nature.

As with my other shed, I intend to put a wide shelf/ work bench half way up the door frame on the lock side which will strengthen and stiffen the door frame and make it less venerable to attack should I decide to start locking it. 



A visit to the local timber and hardware shop and I have an offcut of mdf for the worktop and a 280mm shelf to go above. I will install horizontal supports from the door to the front corner, along the side and the back then from the frame to the rear wall. The timber will be notched to miss the uprights and fit snugly and then it will be screwed down to the framework to give me a nice stiff plate to buttress the door frame.

Roofing batten offcuts courtesy of Sid my neighbour that have been keeping dry in the greenhouse on plot 1A are now sitting in the new shed ready for the framing of the bench and shelf. 

The tool hangers on the door were 5 for £1 at the pound shop. The timber bedside storage unit and the plastic units were what my daughter was throwing away when she redecorated her bedroom and they have been sitting on the plot under a plastic sheet waiting for the shed to arrive.

Now I just need some good weather and some time to get some beds in before the end of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment