Friday 2 January 2015

Tomatoes & Onions


Planning and using my new label machine - 20mm x 20mm x 30mm deep modules 8 in a tray width so I will try sowing 2 rows of the following:-

16 x Alisa Craig
16 x Bedfordshire Champion Onions
16 x Globe the Giant Onion
16 x Hytrch F1
16 x Kamal F1
16 x North Holland Blood Red Redmate
16 x Red Baron
16 x Santero F1
16 x Stuttgarter Riesin 

Wife thinks I'm barmy as an Onion is an Onion but I want to monitor germination rates and see and taste the difference. Plus I bought way too many seeds in the 50p Wyevale Sale. The same is somewhat true of the Tomatoes and I have the labels now ready for

100s & 1000s
Beefsteak
Cherry Cascade
Gardeners Delight
Gartenperle
Harbinger
Lizzano
Money Makers
Plum Roma
Red Robin
Sweet Mullion

There will be other tomatoes from the Seed Circle pack added to this list. I want to monitor success rates of germination and ultimately yield and taste from all these this year. In some of these packs there are only 6-8 seeds and as I can grow in the back garden and at the allotment I'm thinking of sowing 4 seeds per type so that germination rate will be 100, 75, 50, 25 or zero% 

No comments:

Post a Comment